For mother, breastfeeding:
- Is convenient; there's nothing to buy, carry, heat or measure
- Gives you time and helps you relax
- Speeds up postpartum healing
- Saves up to $2,000/year in feeding costs
For baby, breastfeeding:
- Provides all the nutrients needed and in the right amounts
- Causes less spit up and stomachaches because it's so easy to digest
- Lowers risks of allergies, earaches, weight problems, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), and other childhood illnesses
What real Johnson County mothers say about breastfeeding:
“I love the closeness that breastfeeding gives my son and I. He wasn’t always easy at first, but since I never gave up it has paid off tenfold. It really makes motherhood that much more special.”
“I really enjoy breastfeeding my twins since I have two babies. It is nice to get to spend some alone time with each of them.”
“I enjoy breastfeeding because it’s quick and convenient for me, but more importantly, it’s beneficial for my child and his health.”
“Breastfeeding has single-handedly been the best experience of my life. My two girls have never been sick, had ear infections and are already smart and gifted for their ages! I love it with all my heart!”
If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, call the WIC office and ask to speak to a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. Watch the video below to find out more about the services Breastfeeding Peer Counselors provide to WIC clients.
- Breastfeeding Fact Sheet-FAQs
- Preguntas Frecuentes sobre la Lactancia Materna
- WIC Breastfeeding Support (USDA)
- Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition
- U.S. Breastfeeding Report Card
- VIDEO: Breastfeeding 411 Real moms share their favorite resources for information about breastfeeding.
- VIDEO: Growing a First Food Movement -- Coming Together in Support of Breastfeeding
- VIDEO: Advice from WIC Peer Counselors from FNS' Loving Support through Peer Counseling
If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, call the Olathe WIC office at (913) 477-8330 or the Mission WIC office at (913) 826-1302 and ask to speak to a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor or visit the La Leche League International website.
Classes for WIC Participants
Please join us for a FREE breastfeeding class! Classes are held at our locations in Olathe and Mission. Click the link below for class information, dates, and maps.
You must be a current WIC client to enroll in our breastfeeding class. Register for classes here.
Kansas Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Designation
The Kansas Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics with the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition has created this designation that can be earned by medical providers in Kansas who offer breastfeeding support and encouragement to mothers and babies.