A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:
- Has a gross weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
- is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver; or
- is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.
All commercial vehicle title and registration applications should be dropped off and/or picked up from 111 S. Cherry Street, Suite 1500, Olathe, KS. Johnson County does not process IRP (International Registration Plan) registrations. For a complete list of IRP offices in the State of Kansas, please visit www.truckingks.org/cmvoffices.html. For all other information regarding commercial vehicles, please visit www.truckingks.org/cmvresources.html.
Instructions for Renewing Commercial Vehicles
Vehicles must be garaged in Johnson County, KS to use this service.
- Step 1: Download the Commercial Motor Vehicle file template
- Ownership - Include information for all units that need to be renewed per fleet. If a vehicle is left off your request, then the unit will be removed from the account.
- Declared Gross Weight - Include the weight of the power unit, trailer, and any possible load. For trailers, include the weight of the trailer plus any possible load.
- Garaged Address - Vehicles must be garaged in Johnson County, KS to be processed by Johnson County Motor Vehicle. Please verify the address is correct.
- Insurance Information - Provide the company name, policy number, and policy expiration date for each vehicle listed.
- Step 2: Complete your customer or business information in the fields below.
- Step 3: Submit the required file containing your completed list of commercial vehicles.
Download the commercial motor vehicle renewal guide for further assistance
Once your transaction is processed, Johnson County will email an invoice to the contact email address provided below.