The July-August issue of The Best Times magazine is on its way in the mail with a cover story featuring the naturalization of a local elderly immigrant from India, fulfilling his dream to become an American citizen. Two Johnson County departments, other community partners and a U.S. senator helped him and his Overland Park family in that effort.
His name is Hasmukhlal Malkan, but everyone fondly called him Dada. A video about his bittersweet naturalization is viewable here.
Other articles in the next issue of The Best Times include:
- Events/activities as Johnson County officially opens Meadowbrook Park, dedicates an inclusive playground in Shawnee Mission Park, schedules three more productions at the Theatre in the Park, prepares for the annual Johnson County Fair and celebrates Independence Day.
- Volunteer opportunities through the Catch-a-Ride program, which is celebrating its 20th year; the Meals on Wheels program and Johnson County Developmental Supports.
- Classes and programs to have fun with mastering card skills in playing bridge or participate in a Hand and Foot Tournament; to be physically active with yoga and Tai Chi exercises; and to travel with day trips this summer to nearby states.
- A chapter in Johnson County history when a popular judge attracted hundreds of couples wanting to become newlyweds.
- And, the FY 2020 Budget heads into the home stretch with final approval in August.