Friends of JCDS partners with Johnson County Developmental Supports to assist individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities on living, working, and engaging in the community. Friends specifically addresses the special needs and accessible housing issues that face individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Friends provides a Special Assistance Fund that fulfills critical needs and expenses of those individuals served by JCDS. This includes assistance with dental expenses, therapies, basic needs and other emergency funding.
Friends addresses the issue of affordable and accessible housing for those served residentially by Johnson County Developmental Supports by purchasing and renovating homes to meet mobility needs. This ensures that as landlords, Friends of JCDS, Inc. is able to accomplish the following:
- Homes are universally designed- accessibility and barrier free are two important design functions that are employed in our renovated properties.
- Homes are affordable. Rent is kept below current rental rates and meet eligibility guidelines for Section 8 housing. Rent is kept at $325.00 per month per resident and all units qualify for and accept Section 8 Housing Vouchers, further lowering the individual’s monthly financial burden.
- Leases are held in the individual’s name, not the agency. This encourages a sense of ownership for the individuals and encourages independence.
- Homes are in residential neighborhoods that are diverse and convenient to community activities and needs, and that they are in a safe, accessible and affordable environments.
- Create a sense of community and inclusion- adding additional benefits to neighborhoods, helping to diversify them and creating better communities.