Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Emergency Management

Phone: 913-782-3038

111 S. Cherry St., Suite 100, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Individuals and Household Preparedness

Emergency Planning for Individuals & Households

Johnson County Emergency Management has compiled a number of planning and preparedness documents to assist citizens with household emergency planning. These templates and web-sites provide the basics of disaster plans for the individuals and families. When developing any type of plan, our office recommends using an “all hazards” planning approach. Plan for the worse case scenario and if an incident occurs, you can scale down or up your response and recovery efforts.

Individual & Family: Emergency Prepared Neighborhood Workbook

When disaster strikes, you may not have much time to respond. A spill of hazardous material could mean immediate evacuation. A winter storm could confine your family at home. An earthquake, tornado or any other disaster could cut off basic services — gas, water, electricity and telephone — for days. After a disaster, local officials and relief workers will not be able to reach everyone immediately. Help could come in hours, or it may take days. Will your family be ready? You’ll cope best by preparing for disaster before it strikes. In this booklet, we offer simple guidelines that will help you and your family prepare for emergencies

MEMC Preparedness Guidebook - English 

Shelter in Place Guidelines

If a hazardous chemical emergency occurs in your neighborhood, the most important thing to remember is to take action immediately. During a hazardous chemical emergency you should go inside and stay put. This procedure is called "Shelter in Place" or "SIP". You should use a single room in your house such as the bathroom or bedroom. If possible, pick a room with a toilet, phone access (cell is acceptable), water and a radio/TV. For a complete guide for developing a Shelter in Place plan for your office, download one of the documents below or call our office and ask that we mail you a copy.