Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

You are here

Child Care Licensing and Renewals

Questions about Licensing and Renewal

How do I start the process of licensing a day care center or facility?
You need to contact Eldonna Chesnut at (913) 477-8366 to set up an appointment for a one-on-one meeting.

Who do I call to ask about starting an in-home daycare business?
Please call (913) 477-8339 to talk with our staff.

What type of home can be used for home childcare in Johnson County?
If you are thinking of starting an in-home child care business, you need to contact your city. Cities have different requirements and regulations which they will explain to you. You will also need to contact your fire department to make sure that your home meets their requirements.

Under what circumstances does Kansas law NOT require a license for child care?
There are four circumstances where licensing is not required. 1) when child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for 20 hours per week or less and the home has not been closed as a result of enforcement action. Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is cared for weekly. 2) when irregular child care is arranged between friends and neighbors on an exchange basis. 3) when child care is provided in the child's own home. 4) when the child care is provided in the home of the child's relative.

Can I keep my home daycare license current even though I'm closing my daycare?
Yes, but you will be subject to an annual inspection including meeting required training and regulations. Best practice would be to close and re-apply when you are taking children again. If you are a school year only child care please contact us for more information by calling 913-477-8339.

When is my county renewal fee due?
The county fee is due upon receipt of the letter sent by the county. Both homes and centers will receive invoices for annual fees and compliance checks. If you need to discuss payment options, please call the contact number on the invoice to talk with someone in the Child Care Licensing Division.

A new Fire Life Safety Agreement (FLSA) was not included in my renewal paperwork for my home daycare. Do I need to send one in?
You are required to call your local fire department to let them know that you will continue providing child care in your home. The fire marshal will tell you if another inspection is required. If not, the current FLSA and date of the last inspection is sufficient. A copy of the FLSA needs to be sent to KDHE with your renewal papers.

Fingerprint and Background Check Implementation 

Kansas law requires a comprehensive background check, including fingerprints, for each individual residing, working or regularly volunteering in a licensed child care home or working with children in a daycare center or school-age program. Providers must have their OCA number BEFORE fingerprinting can be done. This is required for both home providers and facilities. Please visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's website for answers to frequently asked questions and deadlines to submit paperwork and fingerprints. 

Johnson County Fingerprinting Locations 

The Johnson County Sheriff's Office, 588 E. Santa Fe St., Olathe, Kansas offers fingerprinting service Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (except holidays). Appointments are available for fingerprints and highly recommended. Appointments require 24-hour advance notice. Walk-ins will be accepted if there is availability, but there may be significant wait times. Schedule an appointment here

Bring the following items with you when you get fingerprinted:

  • Fingerprint card (with top part completed)
  • Square return mail envelope with $1 postage attached
  • Waiver consent form
  • Payment page (completed for credit card payment) or check/money order 
  • Government issued ID (Driver’s license/State ID/Passport)  

Leave the envelope and all contents with the police officer. The law enforcement agency taking the fingerprints is responsible for mailing the envelope. If you are paying for more than one person, attach a list of names that your payment covers.

Background Check Packet Pick-up

Child care providers who are eligible for license renewal can pick up background check packets at the Child Care Licensing office located in the Sunset Drive Office Building (11811 S. Sunset Drive, Olathe) during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-5 p.m.) or by calling 913-477-8339 to schedule a pick-up on weekdays before 8 a.m. Packets are also available 30 minutes prior to the start of all evening child care licensing classes.

Upcoming Events

| View All
Mon, 10/18/2021 - 8:00am

COVID-19 Testing

Mon, 10/18/2021 - 8:00am

COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic (Mission)

Tue, 10/19/2021 - 1:00pm

COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic (Mission)

Wed, 10/20/2021 - 8:00am

COVID-19 Testing

Wed, 10/20/2021 - 8:00am

COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic (Mission)