The Area Agency on Aging sponsors services to support caregivers of frail older adults who need services to maintain independent living.
- Caregiver Assessment –a free in-home meeting to review the caregiving situation, determine needs, support the caregiving role and develop a plan of services.
- Caregiver Counseling – identification of caregiving concerns and approaches to resolving those concerns.
- In-Home services - such as attendant care or bath aide, housekeeping and chore service, or weekly medication management for the older adult who is the focus of caregiving.
- Respite Care – temporary relief of caregiving responsibilities for primary caregivers...usually for four hours once a week.
Some Family Caregiver Support Initiative services are provided free-of-charge. Other services are available on a sliding scale or donation basis.
The Caregiver Assistance News
Request your free monthly newsletter for caregivers. 913-715-8860
Trualta E-Learning and Print Resources for Caregivers
In 2021, the Johnson County Area Agency on Aging is offering a personalized innovative eLearning program for family caregivers of loved ones with dementia – part of a national program created by Trualta. They offer skill-based training delivered through an online learning system built specifically for the family caregiver audience. Caregivers can also receive printed booklets to accompany the online information.
- Personal care (e.g., tips for showering, toileting)
- Dementia care (managing difficult situations like wandering, agitation, apathy)
- Safety and injury prevention (identifying fall risks, safely moving and transferring)
- Caregiver wellness (e.g., balancing work and caregiving)
- Insights from dementia expert Teepa Snow
To participate call 913-715-8861.
Caregiver Booklets and Brochures
Request materials... 913-715-8861
- Caring for an Older Adult
- Caring for a Person with Memory Loss
- Successful Respite Solutions
- Getting Friends and Family Members to Help
- 50 Ways to Support a Caregiver
- Balancing Caregiving Family and Work
- Creating a Safe Environment
- Long Distance Caregiving
- Making Communication Easier
Healthy Aging Brochures:
- Healthy Aging
- Healthy Eating and Older Adults
- Improving Balance and Strength
- Maximizing Memory
- Physical Activity and Older Adults
- Preventing Falls