Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Public Works

Phone: 913-715-8300

1800 W. Old Highway 56, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Entrance Permit

Permit Required:

Johnson County requires that a property owner obtain an Entrance Permit from the Public Works Department prior to installing a new driveway entrance or removal and replacement of an existing entrance.  Temporary construction entrances also require a permit.  This work cannot be performed on County right-of-way without an approved permit. 


Obtaining an Application for a Permit:  Entrance Permit Applications can be obtained from Johnson County Public Works located at 1800 West 56 Highway, Olathe, Kansas, 66061.  The permit applications are also available on the Johnson County Public Works web site or can be obtained by fax by calling (913) 715-8300.



Filing the Application:  After providing the necessary information, the applicant should mail or deliver the application to Johnson County Public Works at the address noted above.  The permit fee is $75 and should be in the form of a check made payable to Johnson County Public Works. 


Driveway Restrictions:  New entrances must be located in areas that do not pose traffic safety problems or restrict future road capacity.  All entrances must comply with all County standards, criteria, recorded restrictions and plats.  On section line roads, new driveway locations must also comply with minimum intersection spacing requirements and minimum lot frontage requirements based on the functional classification of the road.  Please reference “Driveway Limitations” for more information on drives accessing section line roads.  If the proposed driveway location does not meet all criteria, staff will assist in determining if an acceptable alternate location is available on the site. 


Review of the Application:   Upon receipt of the completed application, county staff will review the proposed entrance to assure conformance with all applicable requirements.  Proposed driveway locations will be checked for required sight distance, distances from intersections and adjacent entrances, required frontage for number of driveways on the property and for adequate roadside drainage capacity.


Upon completion of review, the permit can be picked up by the applicant from Public Works or returned to the owner or contractor at the address provided on the application.  Please verify that all mailing and e-mail addresses provided are correct and complete.


Location:  In order to determine the exact location of the requested entrance, the applicant should stake the location within one day of filing Entrance Permit Application. The distance from the property line to the edge of the entrance should be at least 5 feet for residential entrances or at least 18 feet for commercial/industrial entrances.


Sight Distance: A new driveway will not be allowed at a location where the sight distance is inadequate to enter the traffic stream safely.  Often sight distance problems can be eliminated by clearing vegetation along the right-of-way.  All required clearing will be the responsibility of the applicant.  New landscaping should be planned so that sight distance will not be obstructed as the landscaping matures.



The Entrance Permit will include the type of culvert, size and length of culvert, and entrance surface requirements.  Allowable culvert types include aluminized corrugated metal pipe or reinforced concrete pipe.  The use of plastic pipe is prohibited except under special conditions where adequate cover is available and as approved by the County Engineer. Only new culverts will be allowed.  Field entrances and residential entrances accessing streets with open ditches must, at a minimum, be surfaced with gravel but may be constructed with asphalt or concrete.  Residential entrances accessing streets with curb and gutter must be constructed with concrete.  Commercial and industrial entrances must be constructed with asphalt or concrete if the adjacent county road is paved.


It is the responsibility of the applicant to furnish the required materials and hire a contractor to perform the work in compliance with the Entrance Construction Specifications and other requirements furnished with the permit.  In normal situations adequate instructions and drawings are provided with the permit so that the contractor can perform the work properly.  If there are any questions the contractor should contact Johnson County Public Works.


Notify Public Works at least two days in advance of installing the entrance.  Public Works will attempt to inspect the work while it is in progress in an effort to avoid costly repairs or reconstruction.


Grading within Right-of-Way:

 For new construction, such as a new home or building, grading along the street frontage within the right-of-way is often necessary to establish positive flow in the open ditch and to provide reduced side slopes for easier maintenance.  This work is typically performed by the building contractor as part of the overall site grading and/or driveway installation.  However, please note that all work performed within the right-of-way must be inspected by Public Works even if all the grading is not included in the entrance permit.  Please contact Public Works for a site inspection prior to beginning any work within the right-of-way.  Normally we allow the slope at the back of the ditch to be reduced for easier maintenance, but we rarely allow the capacity of the ditch to be reduced through the addition of fill material. 


Completion & Inspections

Due to the likelihood of damage to the entrance during the construction of homes and businesses there are two required inspections:


Initial Inspection:  When culvert installation is part of the entrance permit, the initial inspection is performed after the culvert is installed.  This inspection is to ensure proper location, workmanship, materials, elevation and drainage.  To schedule this inspection, the applicant must notify Public Works when the entrance is constructed.  If no building construction is anticipated in the near future, this will be the final inspection.


Final Inspection:  If the Entrance Permit is issued in association with a building permit, prior to the request for Final Occupancy by Building Codes, the applicant must request a final inspection for the entrance installation.  The final inspection will check for damage to the culvert and driveway surface, removal of all construction debris and the establishment of vegetation in all disturbed areas.  All corrective actions are the responsibility of the applicant and must be completed prior to final acceptance of the entrance.  Upon acceptance, Public Works will provide Building Codes a copy of the approved permit.  To avoid any potential delays in the issuance of the Occupancy Permit, please schedule the final entrance inspection far enough in advance to provide adequate time for any possible corrections or repairs needed for the entrance before the final inspection of the building.



Normally Building Codes will not issue a building permit unless Public Works has issued an entrance permit or approved the use of an existing entrance.  A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued unless Public Works has performed the final inspection and approved the entrance.  Additionally, any unauthorized entrance or an entrance that has been constructed improperly can be removed by Johnson County Public Works.  It is a code violation to install a new driveway without a permit and fines may be imposed.