Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Winter Weather Guide

Snowy trees in a neighborhood

For the latest snow-related information from the county, like the county on Facebook and follow the county on Twitter.

Snow and ice removal in Johnson County

Map of unincorporated Johnson CountyJohnson County Public Works is responsible for snow and ice removal in the UNINCORPORATED area of Johnson County - shown on the map in purple.

If you live within city limits, please contact your city directly about snow and ice removal issues. For snow and ice removal issues on a highway, please contact the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Our mission during winter weather is to achieve and maintain safe traffic movement on public roadways within a reasonable time period. If, after 24 hours, you feel we have missed your area in unincorporated Johnson County, please submit an online Request for Service or call Public Works at 913-715-8300. Please also report damage to private property – most commonly to mailboxes – to Public Works.

Learn more about how Public Works handles snow and ice removal.

  • Closings and delays

    If the weather effects county operations or services, we'll post a notice on jocogov.org and on our social media channels. Local media report school, business and other closings.

  • Emergencies

    If you have an emergency situation, please dial 911.

  • Power outages

    If you lose power, contact your utility company.  You can find out which company provides utilities at your address by searching our Automated Information Mapping System (AIMS) map.

  • Prepare for winter weather

    Learn what to do before, during and after a winter storm from the National Weather Service

  • Real-time weather data

    StormWatch.com presents data collected from a flood warning system of remote weather stations. Most of the stations report real-time rainfall. Some stations also report stream levels, temperature, relative humidity, wind, pavement temperature, pavement state and more.

  • RideKC

    Johnson County Transit provides public transportation via RideKC. Check RideKC.org for bus routes, schedules, fare information and service bulletins.

  • Road conditions

    Kansas City Scout provides reliable road condition information for the Kansas City area.

  • Utility assistance

    Financial assistance to promote safety and avoid utility disconnection is available to qualifying Johnson County households. To apply, call 913-715-6653 during regular business hours.

  • Warming centers

    If you need a warm place to be, the Johnson County libraries are open and available during their regular business hours, unless they close due to road conditions. Visit the Library website for the latest on their open/closed status.

  • Weather alerts

    Register at NotifyJoCo to receive blizzard, ice storm and winter storm warnings.



News Media

We provide the latest emergency response information to the local news media, so please turn to them for the most current information.