Refer to the JCW Grease Management: Grease Waste Plumbing, Interceptor Design and JCW Inspections page for JCW design standards and inspection requirements.
1. Non-concrete Gravity Grease Interceptor (NCGGI) unit manufacturers must electronically submit information for each model\unit to Johnson County Wastewater (JCW) for review, development and JCW acceptance of the NCGGI unit’s installation detail before the model may be included for project permitting and installed in JCW’s service area. JCW will coordinate with the manufacturer to develop a JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail for each NCGGI unit accepted for use.
2. Only NCGGI units with a NCGGI Unit Installation Detail accepted by JCW may be permitted and used in JCW’s service area.
3. Only projects with a JCW accepted NCGGI Unit Installation Detail will be accepted for permit review.
4. Elements required for development of the JCW NCGGI Installation Detail for each NCGGI unit include (and may not be limited to):
a. Each model\unit shall comply with IAPMO/ANSI Z1001‐2016 and IAPMO/ANSI Z1000 including:
i. Fiber-reinforced polyester used for manufacturing grease interceptors and
components shall comply with Section 6 of IAPMO/ANSI Z1000.
ii. Thermoplastic grease interceptors shall comply with Section 7 of IAPMO/ANSI Z1000.
iii. Steel grease interceptors shall comply with Section 8 of IAPMO/ANSI Z1000.
Provide certification(s) accordingly.
b. Designs shall be for single stand-alone unit with a minimum volume of 1000 gal and a maximum volume of 2000 gal. Interceptors in series or parallel generally may not be used.
c. A 90-day pumping and cleaning frequency is the standard.
d. For units with ASME A112-14-3-2018 (Type D) certification, provide a copy of the certification and all certification test data indicating grease capacity and efficiency in accordance with Section 3.4.6 including incremental test data to breakdown in accordance with Section 22.214.171.124. For a unit that has not been certified under ASME A112-14-3-2018 or has inlet, outlet and baffle arrangements that differ from JCW’s standard concrete interceptor detail and specification, provide other supporting performance data for JCW review and pilot test installation consideration.
e. Watertight pickable cast iron covers meeting AASHTO M306 H20 Traffic Rating are required. Composite lids may not be used.
f. Each unit shall be designed for an exterior buried installation.
g. A H20 load bearing protective concrete slab is required for all units. The design for the H20 slab sealed by a Kansas PE must be included on the JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail.
h. Under JCW standards, JCW will witness infiltration testing of the interceptor, risers and castings after backfill has been completed to finish grade. The test method shall be included on the JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail. Contact JCW with any questions regarding methodology.
i. Include a two-way tee cleanout immediately upstream of the unit and a vented sampling port on the outlet of each unit on the detail. Refer to JCW’s standard two-way cleanout\sampling port detail.
j. Clearly label the minimum and maximum burial depths on the JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail.
k. Provide core sample measurement limits for the “full” grease and “full” solids for the unit on the JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail.
l. JCW inspection is required at several steps during the installation of the interceptor and grease waste system. Manufacturer’s representatives are urged to include this JCW inspection awareness in discussions with the installer to avoid rework. Required inspections such as the following examples will be included in JCW’s Permit:
1. Interior Grease Plumbing Inspection. In addition to the City interior plumbing inspection, JCW inspection of the grease waste plumbing and fixtures inside the building is required prior to pouring the interior slab.
2. Grease Interceptor Installation Inspections
a. Partial Inspection #1: JCW inspection of the excavation, interceptor, riser(s) and anchor kit (if applicable) is required prior to backfill.
b. Partial Inspection #2: Haunched pipe, backfill, cleanout and sampling port shall be inspected prior to pipe backfill.
3. Grease Interceptor and Risers Vacuum/Leak Test Inspection. JCW must witness the interceptor and risers test noted on the JCW NCGGI Unit Installation Detail.
4. Grease Interceptor H20 Concrete Slab Rebar Inspection. JCW inspection of the rebar configuration is required prior to pouring the concrete slab.
5. H20 Concrete Slab Installation Inspection. JCW inspection of the completed concrete slab including placement of castings within the slab is required at completion of the concrete pour (before concrete set).
JCW Manufacturer Criteria for Non-conc Gravity Interceptor Unit Acceptance 12-21-20 (Pending JCW ESC final review)