Johnson County Wastewater today held a ceremonial groundbreaking to kick off construction of the Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility upgrade/expansion project. The facility is located at 10701 Lee Boulevard in Leawood.
The ceremony included comments from Board Chairman Ed Eilert, 1st District Commissioner Ron Shaffer, Interim County Manager Penny Postoak Ferguson and Wastewater General Manager Susan Pekarek.
“The expansion will initially save approximately $16 million annually and in addition, tens of millions of dollars in long-term savings to ratepayers,” said Board of County Commission Chairman Ed Eilert. “New technology used in the treatment of wastewater flow will allow Johnson County Wastewater to meet higher environmental standards.”
The project design team includes Black & Veatch, HDR Engineers and McCarthy Building Companies (the construction manager at risk).
“This effort involved a significant amount of collaboration with city, state and federal partners greatly improving the end result,” said Interim County Manager Penny Postoak Ferguson. “Today we can celebrate this project as a win for our residents and our community overall.”
“Currently, the county sends 60 percent of the Tomahawk Creek incoming flow to Kansas City, Missouri, for treatment and we treat the other 40 percent,” said General Manager Susan Pekarek. “The expansion will allow the county to treat all of its wastewater for that location and save ratepayers hundreds of millions of dollars in the decades ahead.”
Johnson County Wastewater hired consultants to study alternatives for the treatment facility over the next 25 years. The consultant’s findings indicated that a new treatment facility to treat all flows provides the most cost-effective, long-term solution for ratepayers, and upgrades will improve water quality using the latest, proven technologies, and preserve the high quality of life enjoyed by county residents.
“Investing in a facility at this site to treat all flows here provides the best solution to control our costs long-term and is the best solution for the environment,” Pekarek said.
The Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility was originally constructed in 1955 and has expanded to treat wastewater flows from parts of Leawood, Overland Park, Olathe and Prairie Village.
The expansion project’s total cost is $335 million and is expected to be completed by the end of 2021. More information, including road and trail closures, is available at jcwtomahawk.com.