Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Building Codes

Phone: 913-715-2200

111 S. Cherry St., Suite 2000, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Frequent Questions

Q. How do I know if this is the right Web Page for the information I need?
A. If you live in Johnson County but within city limits, contact that City Hall (a listing of all the cities in Johnson County). If you live in Johnson County but outside city limits, contact this office. 913-715-2200 or by email.

Q. What is the first step I take when I have decided to buy property, build a home, add a structure, divide property, start a business in my home?
A. Speak with or email a Planner for the Unincorporated Area of Johnson County. They will give you information on any restrictions and flood plain information for the property. 913-715-2200.

Q. Who do I contact to apply for an address for my new property?
A. Records & Tax Administration office, 913-715-0775 or email.

Q. Where do I apply for a permit?
A. If you live in the Unincorporated Area of Johnson County, view this Instructional Guide on how to register for an account with MyGovernmentOnline and apply for a permit. If you live within city limits contact your City Hall (a listing of all the cities in Johnson County).

Q. What do I need to submit to obtain a Building Permit?
Go to the Building Permits page and select type of structure. You will find a check list.

Q. How long does it take to get a permit?
Residential approximately 7 to 10 business days. Commercial approximately 10 to 14 business days.

Q. What are the fees for a permit?
You can calculate your own or call for the fee amount, 913-715-2200 | FEE CHART | When do I pay? Residential permits, fees are due when your permit is issued, not submitted. Commercial permits, the plan review fee is due upon submittal and the balance or permit fee is due when the permit is issued. Method of payment: check (payable to: Johnson County Building Codes), ACH, cash, or credit card (there will be a 2.4% service fee assessed to all transactions), American Express is not accepted. 

Q. Who must be licensed?
Unincorporated Johnson County requires that all General, Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Roofing, Pool, Demolition and Sprinkler Contractors be licensed. Each City may vary - See Minimum Class Required.

Q: How do I get information on the Contractor's Licensing program?
 Contractor Licensing Website

Q. How do I know if I need a permit?
View the Exemptions page, choose the code that applies. All decks, roofs and new structures require a permit. A permit is required to enlarge, alter, repair, move or demolish. A permit is required to repair, remove, convert, or replace electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing. This includes repairs to decks or replacing siding and windows.

Q. Do I need a permit to build a detached building? (shed, storage, any detached structure other than your main dwelling)
For residential purpose, any structure with floor area exceeding 200 sq.' requires a permit. For commercial purpose, any structure with floor area exceeding 120 sq.' requires a permit. Any structure regardless of size has setback requirements, contact the Planning Department, 913-715-220 or by email.

Q. Do I need a permit for re-siding my home?

Q. Do I need a permit for replacing my windows?

Q. What is a site (plot) plan?
There is a sample of one on the forms page of this web site. The site plan should include the following information; to scale the size and location of new construction and existing structures on the site, distances from lot lines, the established street grades and the proposed finished grades; and it shall be drawn in accordance with an accurate boundary line survey.

Q. Do I need a Building Permit to fence my yard?
A building permit for residential or commercial properties is not needed unless the fence is over 6' in height. For any fencing under 6' you will need to contact the Planning Department, 913-715-2200, for details pertaining to your area.

Q. How long is a Building Permit good for?
Six months from the issue date and remains valid as long as there is an inspection within 6 months. If a permit expires, there may be an additional fee due to renew it. If a permit expires and the required inspections are not performed within 6 months of the issue date, it may result in a citation being issued. It is the responsibility of the General Contractor to ensure a project is final and the permit is closed, unless work was performed by the Homeowner.

Q. Do my building plans have to be sealed by a licensed Design Professional?
Residential plans, (2 sets), do not have to be sealed unless non-conventional framing is used. Non-conventional framing can include ICF, straw bale, post framed or steel framed construction. Commercial plans, (3 sets), all need to be sealed. One of the three sets needs to be wet sealed with original signature.

Q. What is the phone number to call for Unincorporated Johnson County inspections?
913-715-2200. As of January 1, 2020 inspections request can be made through the Customer Portal at MyGovernmentOnline.

Q. What do I do if I miss a required inspection?
Call this office, 913-715-2200, to speak with an inspector. We will work with you to bring your inspections up to date.

Q. Can I call for a final inspection and move in before my house is finished?
No, your home must be completely finished. Completely finished includes such commonly overlooked items such as the address being posted, all flooring and wall covering, all landings, and decks. You must also have had your final inspection done from Public Works and Environmental before calling.

Q. Why can't homeowners pull permits on rental property?
In order to receive an exemption to the Johnson County Contractor Licensing Regulations, which requires the use of a licensed contractor to do the work, the residence MUST be for the use and occupancy of the homeowner only. It may not be built for sale or lease. Note: All commercial projects must have a licensed General Contractor and licensed Subs listed, the owner cannot do the work.

Q. Who do I contact about starting/operating a business?
Contact the City Hall of the city in which you intend to operate/headquarter/locate your business for licensing and zoning approvals. The County has no business licensing requirements except for itinerant daily, door to door sales and auctions, may contact the Records & Taxation Department at 913-715-0775 to confirm.

If you intend to locate a business in the unincorporated area of the County, contact the County Planning Department at 913-715-2200 to receive approval for locating your business in the proper zoning district. Also check: Operating a business in Kansas.

Q. Is the County enforcing Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection?
A. Yes. Arc-Fault Circuit –interrupter protection are required in accordance with 2012 IRC section E3902.12 as amended by Johnson County Code of Regulation.

A. Floor drains are permitted in detached buildings. The shall be run to daylight. They do not require an inspection.

Q. When will I get my Certificate of Occupancy?
A. The Certificate of Occupancy will emailed to contact on file once the inspector returns to the office.

Q. Can I get a scheduled time for my inspection?
A. We will only set scheduled times for concrete inspections or inspections on occupied structures.

Q. Will someone call me prior to performing my inspection?
Due to schedule conflicts and other situations that may cause us to be unexpectedly late, we will no longer give call aheads.

Q. Who do I call if I believe someone is working without a permit in the Unincorporated Area of Johnson County?
You can call the office at 913-715-2200 with the address of the property and a brief description of what work is being done.

Q. Can I fax my permit application?
As of January 1, 2020 all permits must be submitted online. Please see this Instructional Guide to assist you with registration and application on MyGovernmentOnline.

Q. Where do I get a pond permit?
A. Public Works.