Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Records and Tax Administration
A Division of TTV

Phone: 913-715-0775

111 S. Cherry St., Suite 1200, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Access to Records

The Johnson County Archives maintains a Research Room where the historic documents in the collection are available to the public. All reasonable requests for access to the collection will be accommodated, provided that access does not endanger the records and provided that access is allowed in accordance with the Kansas Open Record Act, K.S.A. 45-215/225.

The Archives staff provides assistance to researchers in using the collections. Reference services are available on-site or by phone, mail, and email. The Archives maintains several unpublished finding aids indexes that list and describe the materials in the collection. These finding aids are available for use by the public.

This on-line guide includes indexes for the following records in the Archives collections:

  • Marriage Records of Johnson County (1858 – 1969)
  • Will Records of Johnson County (1874 – 1974)
  • Immigration & Naturalization Records of Johnson County (1870 - 1930)
  • Divorce Records of Johnson County (1857 – 1939)
  • Civil Court Records (1857 – 1939)
  • Criminal Court Records (1861 – 1969)
  • Delinquent Tax List of Johnson County (1858 - 1861)

Obtaining Copies of Records

Archives staff can provide its patrons with copying services for most of the items in its collection. Staff will do copying of materials from the collection. Services are provided on a first in, first out basis.

Reference Services & Fees

Patrons unable to visit the Archives to conduct their own research may contact the Archives to request the Archives staff to conduct limited research for specific information. Archives staff will search indexed records and books for a maximum of thirty minutes per request. Due to the limited number of staff, the Archives cannot: search records that are readily available from other sources (such as census records); conduct detailed genealogical searches; summarize, interpret, or transcribe documents; or provide a list of records for all persons bearing a particular surname. If such research is needed, researchers should plan to visit the Archives in person or make arrangements with a private researcher.

Copy fees must be paid in advance.  Please refer to Archives, Records and Tax Administration Fees for prices. The Archives will provide the best photocopy available. We cannot guarantee image quality (due to the condition of the originals and the fact that some copying must be done from microfilm), and we cannot refund photocopy fees.

There is no charge for reference questions about collections, review of records inventories or searches on computer indexes. A reference question is one that can be answered by looking into the written or computerized inventories or reference to any of the published reference works.