More information including official minutes, votes and videos on all items is available at boccmeetings.jocogov.org.
To reduce the spread of COVID-19, physical distancing will be observed in the Hearing Room, with limited seating in the adjacent lobby with audio available. A live broadcast will still be available at the link below and on Facebook Live.
Public comments are being accepted for the Board of County Commissioners’ meeting for those who preregister. Live public comments will be accepted either in-person or via Zoom, audio only. Individuals wishing to speak in-person or via Zoom may register by completing this registration form. Starting for the June 3rd meeting, individuals wishing to speak in-Person, may also sign up In-Person by 9:20 a.m. prior to the meeting. Online Registration opens Tuesday afternoon/evening (coincides with publishing the agenda) and closes at noon (12:00 p.m.) on the Wednesday before the Thursday meeting. If you complete the registration, you will receive an email notice later in the day on Wednesday regarding the status of your registration. Instructions on joining and speaking at the meeting via Zoom will be included in the email notice for individuals who register to speak via Zoom. Individuals registering to speak in person at the meeting will receive email confirmation of their registration. The BOCC has established a limit of 50 speakers for general public comments or for a specific agenda item. If more than 50 individuals register, the 50 speakers will be determined by a random process. Speakers will be limited to 3 minutes each.
Speakers who have registered to speak via Zoom will be called upon to speak first, followed by speakers who have registered to speak in person, then we will call upon speakers that signup the morning of the meeting. Registered speakers using Zoom will be called upon to speak in the order in which they signed up. Speakers who have registered/signed up for in person public comment will be admitted into the Hearing Room in the order specified by the Deputy Clerk. The Chairman may modify these procedures as needed to conduct an orderly and efficient meeting.
If you would like to make a WRITTEN public comment for the meeting, please use this link, WRITTEN Public Comments and complete the form. Written comments received by noon Wednesday will be shared with the entire Board prior to the meeting. Written comments will not be read into the record during the meeting. If you are unable to use this internet link, you may call the following number, and we will record your information. (913) 715-0424.
If you plan to attend a Board of County Commissioners meeting and need an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter or other Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation, please use this form to let us know what reasonable accommodation you need or via the Kansas Relay Operator at (800) 766-3777, or by phone at (913) 715-0430 at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting.
The Board of County Commissioner proclaimed June 15, 2021 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
BOCC actions for June 10, 2021
- Approved the reappointment of Chad Riley- Fourth District Representative of the Housing and Community Development Advisory Committee through March 31, 2024.
- Approved the reappointment of Randy Hutchins- Sixth District Representative of the Southwest Consolidated Zoning Board through March 13, 2024.
- Approved the appointment of Jonathan Birkel- Seventh District Representative to the Transportation Council through December 11, 2021.
- Ratified the appointment of James Green – Chairman’s representative to the Transportation Council through August 31, 2021.
- Ratified the appointment of Richard H. Nobles, Jr. – Chairman’s representative to the Transportation Council through September 1, 2022.
- Authorized the appointment of Connie Schmidt to the Fire District #1 Governing Board.
- Authorized a contract with HDR Engineering, Inc., for the survey and design to replace the Ridgeview Road bridge 0.8 miles north of 191st Street, at a cost not to exceed $220,385.
- Authorized an agreement with SHI International Corp. for the purchase of Microsoft Server Software for $184,392.88 using the State of Kansas Contract #42145.
- Authorized an agreement with Technology Group Solutions (TGS) for $274,191.22 for the purchase of VMWare Software and Implementation Services using the State of Kansas Contract #40400.
- Authorized a contract with Burns and McDonnell, for on call Airport engineering services, at a cost not to exceed $800,000 for a period of one (1) year with the option to renew for an additional four (4) additional one (1) year renewal options.
- Granted an Exception to Competition and authorized a contract extension for one (1) year with up to four (4) one-year renewal terms with Waste Management, Inc. for the disposal and removal of sludge, grit, screenings, and refuse from Johnson County Wastewater Facilities in an amount not to exceed $1,500,000 per year.
- Conducted a public hearing and authorized funds for Johnson County Wastewater infrastructure improvement projects in an amount not to exceed $2,360,000.
- Authorized a contract with Hg Consult, Inc. for the survey and design of safety improvements for 183rd Street from Metcalf Avenue to Nall Avenue, at a cost not to exceed $177,733.67.
- Authorized a contract with Valley Services, LLC (TRIO Community Meals), for Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Kitchen Services, at a cost not to exceed $825,000 for a period of one (1) year with the option to renew for an additional four (4) one year periods.
- (Sitting as the Board of Fire District No. 2) Authorized the Chair to execute a separation and release agreement for Fire District No. 2 personnel.
Manager’s Memo, Penny Postoak Ferguson, County Manager
COVID-19 and Vaccination: Johnson County Update
This report has been prepared by Dr. Sanmi Areola and Elizabeth Lawlor Holzschuh as of June 7, 2021. As was discussed at the prior Board meeting, this report will now be included weekly in the Manager’s Report.
Major Projects Update
This report is for major projects over $1 million and master plans. The report is provided bimonthly and supplements the Public Building Commission bi- annual reports in February and August. The information contained in this report is through May 31, 2021.
Items currently on the agenda for the June 17 meeting
- Consider authorizing the acceptance of federal grant EMW-2020-FG-12092 awarded to Johnson County MED-ACT through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant ProgramCOVID-19 Supplemental (AFG-S), and authorize the reallocation and expenditure of County General Fund reserves in an amount not to exceed $40,313.64. Consider authorizing the reduction of the 2022 Contractor Licensing Renewal and Base fee from $225 to $180 beginning November 1, 2021.
- Amend the FY 2021-2025 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) to include a capital project for the hazardous material abatement and razing of the existing structure(s) on the Kuhlman Diecasting property near 164th and Mission Road in an amount not to exceed $725,000; and to authorize the reallocation and use of General Fund Reserves in an amount not to exceed $725,000 to fund the project.
- Consider authorizing the publication of a proposed budget for Johnson County Government in the amount of $x,xxx,xxx,xxx for fiscal year 2022, notifying the county clerk of the proposed intent to exceed the revenue neutral rate, and setting a public hearing on the proposed budget for Monday, August 23, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Chambers.